October was a busy month with the focus on Alex Peterson Sensei’s seminar. Thank you all for the work you put into making it a success and especially to Jan and Joanne who put their heads together and found the perfect gift for him, a copy of Sun Tzu’s ’The Art of War’. It was the most well attended seminar that we have hosted and Peterson Sensei left us with much to carry into our training.
Many thanks also to our member at large, Norm Wight Sensei, who once again filled in for me while I was away. I know that he brings a refreshing perspective to our training and considers our dojo his home away from home.
I sadly report that one of our long time members, Mark Drake, has decided to retire from Aikido. It has been an important part of his life and I know that it was one of the most difficult decisions he has ever had to make. He has been a student, teacher and advisor to me and has often contributed to the bigger picture of aikido. He was the chief organizer of the Birankai Summer Camp 2010 in San Marcos and for the past few years has been the SoCal Regional Seminar Coordinator. I will certainly miss him. He won’t be far away however, and will always be part of our extended community. Mark, we wish you a long, healthy and active onward journey.
Tim Reynolds has agreed to take over the position of SoCal Regional Event Coordinator.
Important Dates to Note:
- Saturday, November 18 - Our adult classes (10:15 and 12:15) will be held outdoors, weather permitting! Brian Stokes Sensei will be using the dojo for a weapons’ seminar that weekend. More details as we get closer to that time. Children's classes will remain in the dojo.
- Saturday, December 9 - the 10:15 to noon class will be cancelled to encourage everyone to attend the seminar with Juba Nour Sensei at San Diego Aikikai. See flyer in the dojo. If you have not experienced Nour Sensei’s aikido this is a great opportunity to do so. He had an extensive training with Chiba Sensei and many years following developing his own aikido. His approach is unique.
- Saturday, December 16 - Holiday party! Ideas welcome ...
- Wednesday, December 20 - The LAST CLASS FOR THIS YEAR. The dojo will then be closed for the holidays through the New Year. Our FIRST CLASS IN JANUARY, 2018 will be on Saturday the 6th. The dojo will be available for extra classes and test practice during that time. Look for emails announcing times and dates.
- Monday, January 1 - 1000 Cut Suburi New Year's Practice
- Saturday, January 6 - Dojo reopens for 2018.
- Saturday, January 13 - Our first test in 2018.