I am very pleased to announce that in recognition of their dedication, commitment and continued progress in aikido, both Tim Reynolds and Tammy Kohn have been promoted to Sandan. Congratulations to both Tammy and Tim, this occasion deserves celebration!
I appreciated the great turnout for the memorial practice for Mark Murashige last Saturday. It was a moving tribute to him. Thank you for your generous donations to his family. We will be passing this on to them soon.
A quick note to you before leaving for LA and this weekend's Daiwa seminar with Didier Boyet Shihan. This will not effect the class schedule at the dojo. CLASSES will be he held as usual. We are very fortunate that Norm Wight Sensei is in town and will be teaching the 10:15 class. Please make every effort to attend. The class will be open to all ranks.
- Next Saturday, November 8, we will hold two IAIDO classes in the afternoon at the dojo to be taught by Didier Boyet Shihan. If you don't do Iaido please come and watch. It is a valuable (to our aikido and weapons practice) and beautiful art form.
- Summer camp dates for 2014 have been announced. It will be held at Pacific University, Forest Grove, Oregon from July 18 - 23. Please start thinking about attending NOW! Information about summer camp will be posted on the Birankai.org website.
- Lizzy Lynne Shihan will be the guest instructor at San Diego Aikikai for a seminar December 14, 15. We will be having our Christmas party the following weekend, Saturday, December 21.
It is with great sadness that I announce the passing of Mark Morikhiko Murashige, Shihan on October 11, 2013 at home. He was one of San Diego Aikikai's (and Birankai's) influential instructors. Known by his gentle, humble demeanor, and mischevious streak, he has touched the lives of many. Read More...
- November 1, 2 & 3 at Aikido Daiwa. Didier Boyet is our guest instructor. Many of you know him. Didier has practiced aikido for more than 40 years. He moved to Japan in 1977 to follow Chiba Sensei and has lived there since, practicing at Hombu dojo under such teachers as Doshu Ueshiba Kisshomaru, Osawa Kisaburo sensei, Yamaguchi sensei, Arikawa sensei and Shibata sensei. He also studied Muso Shinden Ryu iaido as a direct student of Mitsuzuka sensei. They will be able to offer beds to a few people on a first come, first serve basis. There will also be a pot luck dinner on Saturday evening after the last class and welcome any contribution to the activities. If there is anyone who wishes to attend but has financial constraints, please let me know. We will be arranging car pooling. Please watch the bulletin board at the dojo for further information. (seminar flyer attached).
- Didier sensei will also be teaching a two hour session of Iaido, the following Saturday, November 9 at North County Aikikai. A donation will be requested.
- Examinations will be held during the Saturday morning class, December 7th, for both adults and teens.
- December 14, 15 Seminar at San Diego Aikikai with Lizzy Lynn shihan.
- December 21 - dojo holiday party!
We chose a beautiful, clear and fresh morning for our weapon's in the park class. For those of you who did not make it, the location in Del Mar is stunning, with a magnificent view of the ocean from the green. We will be doing it again. We should have photos on our website soon.
As a reminder, the Thursday evening class has been extended to one hour and a half, from 6:15 - 7:45. This class is still primarily a weapons' class with the addition of a period of sitting meditation to focus the mind more clearly on the weapons' practice. For those of you who might feel uncomfortable about sitting on a cushion, a chair would be available. If you have any questions or hesitation about the sitting part of the weapons' class, please come and speak to me personally.
If you have any questions about your aikido practice and would like to meet with me personally - I would be very open to arrange a time.