I hope you are all well, had a wonderful holiday season and are ready for the new year. The good news is the world didn't end on December 21 and we can continue training!
- The members are conducting a New Year dojo cleansing Wednesday evening January 2nd. Everyone is encouraged to participate. This will begin at 6:15 pm.
- Our first class of the year will be Saturday the 5th instructed by Alex Peterson Sensei. I anticipate this to be quite a vigorous class to begin the year.
- Wednesday's January 9th 7:30 pm class will be instructed by Leslie Cohen Sensei, 5th Dan from San Diego Aikikai and is a true inspiration. This is a great opportunity for us so please come and support. This class is typically for 3rd kyu and above. However, one may gain a lot from observing and I fully encourage you to attend.
- If you haven't seen them yet, be sure to check out the photos from the Kids' Testing & Shared Class as well as the Kids' Outdoor Party!
As we approach the new year we wish everyone a safe and happy holiday season. Please note the dojo schedule for this time:
The dojo will be closed from Sunday, December 23rd - last classes of the year will be on Saturday the 22nd - and will reopen Saturday, January 5 for the New Year.
Please be ready to welcome Alex Peterson Sensei who will lead this class. During the holidays, the dojo will, of course, be available for practice under the guidance of a senior member. So watch out for posts as to when these might be. Prior to opening for the New Year a full cleaning of the dojo is scheduled for January 2nd, Wednesday, from 6:15 pm. Click here for more information.
November seemed to pass quickly. Our seminar with Phil Vargas Sensei was well attended and energizing for all. And the surprise visit by Robert Savoca Sensei was the same. So here we are in December already. Please note our schedule through the New Year, 2013:
- December 8/9 - San Diego Aikikai will be hosting a seminar with Lorraine DiAnne Shihan. The seminar starts at 2:00 in the afternoon. Details on the attached flyer and at the dojo. Please sign up if you want to arrange carpooling. The Saturday morning classes will be held at NCA as usual.
- Saturday, December 15 - NCA Holiday Party! Please think about your favorite dish for the pot-luck and also any entertainment you would like to contribute. Don't be shy - we are a receptive audience!
- The dojo will be closed from Sunday, December 23 (slight change from November's Newsletter) - last classes of the year will be on Saturday the 22nd - and will reopen Saturday, January 5 for the New Year. Please be ready to welcome Alex Peterson Sensei who will lead this class.
- During the holidays, the dojo will, of course, be available for practice under the guidance of a senior member. So watch out for posts as to when these might be.
- Prior to opening for the New Year a full cleaning of the dojo will be arranged. Details to follow.
I first want to thank Kev Liu and Sara Nishi for all the work they put in to making our Juniors' Day so enjoyable. The testing revealed how well the children are developing and how seriously they take their aikido. And for me, to address a mixed class that included both our adults and many of the young ones together, was a treat. Animal walks and adults should come together more often! Read more...