June flew by quickly! We celebrated Chiba Sensei’s memorial day with a special zazen sit on Sunday, June 4th, and on the actual day, June 5th we had a special practice followed by a sake toast and some Chiba stories!
Thank you to all of you who kept the dojo during Summer Camp and my absence this year. This year’s Camp in New York was unique in that there was no special guest instructor but teaching was shared with a common goal between two Birankai shihan: Senseis Darrell Bluhm and George Lyons, and three shidoin: Senseis Savoca, Drake and Heins. It was great to see more kyu ranks training on the east coast than one usually sees at west coast Summer Camps. Hopefully, this will be a trend that will spread!
Roo Heins Sensei surprised us with a visit and taught all three classes one Monday evening. Her approach to body art and weapons is unique of course, her spirit energizing to everyone. She always tells me how much she enjoys training/teaching in our dojo. Thank you Julian for making this possible and picking her up and returning her to Daiwa.
Following are events of interest to the dojo:
- Testing for adults on Saturday, July 30th during the 10:15 class. If you are intending to test, please make the most of the free practice opportunities that are set up under the guidance of a senior member, to help you prepare. There is one this coming Sunday from 3 - 5 pm.
- On Friday, July 30, the SoCal Kyudo Renmei group will be giving a demonstration at 11:15 am and 5:00 pm. at the Japanese Friendship Garden in Balboa Park. They will also be demonstrating at the Mingei Museum on August 12 at 5:00 pm as part of the Museum’s year long focus on the everyday arts of Japan. Please talk to Jeremy if you want to know more.
- While on the subject of the Mingei Museum, our dojo will be giving a demonstration along with a reading by the poet Hiromi Ito on Friday evening, August 19 at 5 pm. Both the above events will be followed by a Japanese movie.
Here are some upcoming events.
- Saturday, July 30th - kyu testing during the 10:15 class
- Sunday, August 7, from 3 - 5 pm. Master Class for yudansha.
- August 19 - 5 pm, Aikido Demo and Poetry by Hiromi at Mingei
- August 28 - 30 - Aikido of Kohala 20th Anniversary Seminar with Senseis: Apodaca, Champion, Crane and Kristina and Rikko Varjan.
- September 9 - 11 - Instructors’ Intensive, House in the Woods Retreat Center, WI.
- October 1 - Kyu Testing
- October 22, 23 - NCA will be hosting a seminar with Jobe Groot Sensei, 6th Dan, from Mountain Coast Aikikai, Vancouver.
- November 12 - NCA 25th Anniversary celebration!
- December 11, 12 - Seminar at San Diego Aikikai with Juba Nour Sensei.
- September 14 - 17, 2017 Women's only seminar at Ghost Ranch, Abiquiu, NM