Once again I am wishing us all good health and fruitful accomplishments in the New Year. I want to thank you all for your thoughtful and delightful gifts for my birthday. I was unaware of the existence of the photograph that you had framed of me presenting a gift to the Doshu, probably in 1988, with Chiba Sensei looking on in the background. I was very touched to see it and recall the moment. I am also very much looking forward to the Seventeen Samurai, Taiko drummers performance in March. January was off to a good start with the 1,000 strike suburi challenge. It was a powerful and exhilarating experience with 13 students cutting and counting in unison.
- Saturday, January 30th, Didier Boyet Shihan will be visiting the dojo and will teach the 10:15 and noon time class. Both classes will be open to all students. He will be at San Diego Aikikai the following morning. Details to be announced.
- The following weekend, February 6 and 7, Boyet Sensei will be the guest instructor at our SoCal Regional Seminar to be held in LA at Daiwa. Car pooling will be arranged for our dojo.
- I am very pleased to announce that we will be hosting a seminar the weekend of March 5 and 6, with Kristina Varjan and Cindy Bluhm Senseis. Please watch for further details. We will have three visitors coming in from Hawaii and two of them will need lodging. If any of you would be able to put them up please let me know.
- April 26 O-Sensei’s memorial. Special class to be announced.
- Friday April 29 through Sunday, May 1, San Diego Aikikai will be hosting a sesshin with Genjo Marinello Osho. For those of you who haven’t experienced zazen sitting meditation and would like to, you are welcome to sit with us on Thursday evenings from 6:15 to 7:00.
- Crane Sensei
On behalf of Birankai International, with deep sorrow, Birankai North America announces the death today, June 5th, 2015, of our founder and teacher T. K. Chiba Shihan.
Martial artists here and around the world salute his life as they mourn his passing. During more than 50 years of training and teaching, Sensei inspired, forged and changed the lives of generations of students.
United in gratitude for the great gift he gave us, we offer our condolences to his family.