- We will be holding a mock test during this coming Saturday, March 8th morning class. This will involve all students and give you an opportunity to experience a test format, while being able to realize techniques when called out and not demonstrated.
- San Diego Aikikai will be hosting a seminar with Robert Savoca Sensei on March 22nd and 23d. The Saturday training will be held at San Diego Aikikai and the Sunday training here at North County Aikikai. Please support this event to the best of your ability. Click here for more information.
- April 12th and 13th, Darrell Bluhm will be conducting a SoCal Regional seminar at Daiwa in Los Angeles. Once again watch the bulletin board for more information. We will be arranging car-pooling to share transportation.
- May 2nd - 4th, we will be hosting our annual sesshin with Genjo Marinello Osho at North County Aikikai. Flyer attached.
- And lastly, our Birankai Summer Camp, July 18th - 23rd, being held outside of Portland, OR. Information is up on the Birankai.org website. So please keep yourselves updated as the site is refreshed.
- The dojo will be closed on Monday the 17th in observance of Presidents' Day. However, free practice can be be arranged under the guidance of a senior teacher.
- There are two SoCal Region events this month:
1. The weekend of February 14-16 is the Birankai Southern California Instructors' Intensive in Escondido.
2. Saturday, February 22, Daiwa is hosting a one-day seminar with Didier Boyet Shihan from Hombu Dojo. Please see the flyers at the dojo.
- Testing will be held at the dojo during the morning class, Saturday March 8.
Plans are afoot to make some improvements to the dojo: the painting of the shomen wall and also construction of a platform that will support storage. We look forward to community involvement in these projects and will keep you apprised of plans.
The dojo will be reopening for regular practice on Saturday, January 4th. We are very fortunate that Leslie Cohen Sensei has accepted our invitation to conduct the first class of the New Year. This is the practice that helps us focus on letting go of our attachments to the past year in order to be open to the fresh opportunities that lie ahead.
I hope that you will all be able to attend either for all, or part, of the Bridge Seminar (Friendship Seminar) at Jiai Aikido in San Diego. Not only will you be supporting your sensei who is an invited guest, but you will also benefit from experiencing teachers and practicing with students from other schools of Aikido. Please go to their website to see a further breakdown of attendance fees. If there is anyone who would like to attend but is held back by financial concerns, please speak to me.
Congratulations to all of you who have been promoted recently to San Dan:
- Tammy Kohn, Melbourne, Australia (October 2014)
- Tim Reynolds (October 2014)
And in the New Year's Promotions, also to San Dan:
- Kevin Liu
- Mark Drake
- Jeremy Cail
- Ben Kunkel promoted to Shodan on the 21st December, 2013
Congratulations also to those who passed testing December 7, 2014:
- Cameron McKenzie 5th kyu
- J.L. Espinosa 4th kyu
- Ben Powers 4th kyu
- Bryce Walker 4th kyu
And lastly, a big thank you to all of you who have contributed to the growth of the dojo this past year. Either by teaching or by contributing to the smoother running of its organization. I think that this coming year will see further development on all fronts!
Wishing you all peace, hope, love and joy in the New Year,