This coming Saturday, September 24, from 2 - 6 pm, we will be holding a CPR course at the dojo. The cost is $45 per person but could be less if we have more participants. We have sufficient people to support it but can still accommodate a few more. We are now opening it up to friends and families. So if you know someone who would be interested in certifying for the first time or re-certifying, please let us know by the middle of the week.
Congratulations again to our three members who tested on Saturday, July 30th: Noam for 5th kyu, Mara and Dimitri for 4th kyu. All passed with distinction. We will be saying ‘au revoir’ to Dimitri who will be leaving this month to attend university in Switzerland. He will be making every effort to keep his aikido going and we wish him all the very best and look forward to his future visits. Also congratulations to the three junior members who also gave outstanding tests. Avery and Will passed their Orange belt tests and Niko passed her Blue belt test. Well done!
On Friday, July 30, the SoCal Kyudo Renmei group will be giving a demonstration at the Mingei Museum, Balboa Park, on August 12 at 5:00 pm as part of the Museum’s year long focus on the everyday arts of Japan. Please talk to Jeremy if you want more details.
The dojo demonstration at the Mingei will be taking place at 5 pm on Friday, August 19. We are fortunate to have the use of some easily transportable gymnastic mats. The logistics of the event are being thought through now and details will be shared soon. There will be many ways to participate so please put the date on your calendar. I hope to see many of you there.
We are still hoping to hold a CPR/Advanced Life Saving 4 hour class to be arranged to take place at the dojo. So far we have 7 people signed up and need 10 to make it happen. The cost per person would be $45, less if more sign up. If you have friends or family members who would be interested, they would the welcome.
I would like to draw your attention to the Dojo Guidelines that are handed out to every new member. A copy of these will be posted on the bulletin board at the dojo to refresh your memories. Please respect the following dojo etiquette between classes. If there is a 15 minute period between classes, the first class bows out and has 5 minutes to vacate the mat. Students for the following class can enter during that time, take 5 minutes to be quietly social then 5 minutes to prepare mentally for the class, lining up 1 minute before the bell goes. Every effort should be made to be on the mat at least 5 minutes before class begins. A seated bow at the edge of the mat acknowledges your entrance into that mind set. If you arrive late, and the mat is not crowded, step on to the mat and make a seated bow to the kamiza, then wait to be acknowledged by the sensei. If the mat is crowded, for example at a seminar, sit on the carpeted area. Once seen, bow to the sensei and enter the class. If the sensei does not notice you, call out ‘o-negei-shimas(u)’ The same respect should be given to any class going on while watching it from the side. Conversation should be kept to a minimum.
- Sunday, August 7 - Master class for yudansha
- August 19 - 5 pm, Aikido demo and poetry reading by Hiromi Ito at the Mingei Museum, Balboa Park
- August 28-30 - Aikido of Kohala 20th Anniversary Seminar with Senseis: Apodaca, Champion, Crane and Kristina and Rikko Varjan
- September 9-11 - Instructors’ Intensive, House in the Woods Retreat Center, WI
- October 1 - Kyu testing
- October 22-23 - NCA hosting seminar with Jobe Groot Sensei from Mountain Coast Aikikai, Vancouver
- November 12 - NCA 25th Anniversary celebration!
- December 11-12 - Seminar at San Diego Aikikai with Juba Nour Sensei
- April 29-30, 2016 - NCA hosting SoCal Regional Seminar with guest instructor Frank Apodaca Sensei
- September 14-17 - Women only seminar at Ghost Ranch, Abiquiu, NM
June flew by quickly! We celebrated Chiba Sensei’s memorial day with a special zazen sit on Sunday, June 4th, and on the actual day, June 5th we had a special practice followed by a sake toast and some Chiba stories!
Thank you to all of you who kept the dojo during Summer Camp and my absence this year. This year’s Camp in New York was unique in that there was no special guest instructor but teaching was shared with a common goal between two Birankai shihan: Senseis Darrell Bluhm and George Lyons, and three shidoin: Senseis Savoca, Drake and Heins. It was great to see more kyu ranks training on the east coast than one usually sees at west coast Summer Camps. Hopefully, this will be a trend that will spread!
Roo Heins Sensei surprised us with a visit and taught all three classes one Monday evening. Her approach to body art and weapons is unique of course, her spirit energizing to everyone. She always tells me how much she enjoys training/teaching in our dojo. Thank you Julian for making this possible and picking her up and returning her to Daiwa.
Following are events of interest to the dojo:
- Testing for adults on Saturday, July 30th during the 10:15 class. If you are intending to test, please make the most of the free practice opportunities that are set up under the guidance of a senior member, to help you prepare. There is one this coming Sunday from 3 - 5 pm.
- On Friday, July 30, the SoCal Kyudo Renmei group will be giving a demonstration at 11:15 am and 5:00 pm. at the Japanese Friendship Garden in Balboa Park. They will also be demonstrating at the Mingei Museum on August 12 at 5:00 pm as part of the Museum’s year long focus on the everyday arts of Japan. Please talk to Jeremy if you want to know more.
- While on the subject of the Mingei Museum, our dojo will be giving a demonstration along with a reading by the poet Hiromi Ito on Friday evening, August 19 at 5 pm. Both the above events will be followed by a Japanese movie.
Here are some upcoming events.
- Saturday, July 30th - kyu testing during the 10:15 class
- Sunday, August 7, from 3 - 5 pm. Master Class for yudansha.
- August 19 - 5 pm, Aikido Demo and Poetry by Hiromi at Mingei
- August 28 - 30 - Aikido of Kohala 20th Anniversary Seminar with Senseis: Apodaca, Champion, Crane and Kristina and Rikko Varjan.
- September 9 - 11 - Instructors’ Intensive, House in the Woods Retreat Center, WI.
- October 1 - Kyu Testing
- October 22, 23 - NCA will be hosting a seminar with Jobe Groot Sensei, 6th Dan, from Mountain Coast Aikikai, Vancouver.
- November 12 - NCA 25th Anniversary celebration!
- December 11, 12 - Seminar at San Diego Aikikai with Juba Nour Sensei.
- September 14 - 17, 2017 Women's only seminar at Ghost Ranch, Abiquiu, NM